[Bf-committers] (agree to not do it) Split Collada into a python frontend and a C++ backend

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun May 20 23:43:16 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
> If we wanted  to move these selections to the Collada Exporter,
> then we would have to add these buttons to the file export panel
> as far as i understand the concept.
>
> - But the Collada exporter's user interface is programmed in C.
> - Hence wouldn't we have to implement all these buttons in C as well ?

Yes, but I dont see the problem with this. most C operators use the
automatic layout (so no ui code needs to be added in C).
a few do - Ctrl+F3 -- Save ScreenShot - is an example of a C UI.

> - And wouldn't we also have to implement every target specific
>   part in C as well ?

Yes, but I again, I dont see the problem here, the operator is written
in C so its options are written in C too.

> And what about third party exporters ? Such exporters would never
> be able to be added to the Blender C-part and must end up as separate
> export modules anyways.

Right, a py script can't (easily) extend a C exporter, but why would you?

> However doesn't all that contradict the idea of having a "default exporter"
> which should just behave according to the Standards ?

Afraid Im not understanding the question at this point. In this
discussion you should more clearly differentiate, options, presets,
3rd party collada implimentations, scripts which happen to call
collada export .... reading your mail I feel like this is getting
mixed up.

> On 20.05.2012 22:40, Thomas Dinges wrote:
>> Why do we need 4 different menu entries? It's totally sufficient to have
>> one Collada entry in the menu and then select the type in the File Browser.
>>
>> Am 20.05.2012 22:20, schrieb Gaia:
>>> As discussed with ideasman_42 we have agreed to just do a tiny little
>>> change and rename the Exporter to make it more clear that it is
>>> Blender's Default Collada exporter and that there can be more of them.
>>> Now the menu could look like this (if these exporters existed):
>>>
>>> File ->   export ->   Collada (Default) (.dae)
>>>                      Collada (3DS) (.dae)
>>>                      Collada (Maya) (.dae)
>>>                      Collada (Second Life) (.dae)
>>>
>>> Really a minor change, but acceptable for me :)
>>>
>>> BTW: I never ever want to disable the Blender Collada module.
>>> In fact i want to help making this module shiny and precious
>>> until end of this year, so that there is no longer any reason
>>> to kick this module out of blender as it was considered earlier
>>> this year.
>>>
>>> Gaia

- Campbell