[Bf-committers] Multi Layer EXR issues

Lukas Tönne lukas.toenne at googlemail.com
Fri May 18 11:42:24 CEST 2012

I'm sorry this turned out so chaotic (small changes causing a wave of
other problems over the release period).

Had some discussion on IRC on how to handle multilayer passes in the
image node. In general the render layer/render pass separation from
Blender's render output is meaningless in image files (it just
translates to a "render_layer.render_pass" naming scheme), so it would
be preferable to have image layer names flattened instead of trying to
force generic image layers into the Blender naming scheme. However, as
your example demonstrates, showing all the existing image layers at
once is not a viable option ...

Other programs solves this by allowing a selection of each individual
image layer (as opposed to the render layer groups in Blender), which
is a more general solution than what the image node does. But until we
have a good UI for this kind of thing (e.g. right-click menu +
scrolling on nodes) it's probably best to revert to the previous
behavior (done in r46542).

About the messed up image passes: In my tests after the r46542 commit
it seems to work correctly (generating EXR file with several passes in
2.62 and loading as image node trunk). Could you please test this with
your own files and if it still doesn't work maybe provide an example?