[Bf-committers] Concept bug with Shrinkwrap(projection)+armatures

Vicente vicentecarro at gmail.com
Fri May 18 01:46:25 CEST 2012

Hi,

I've been told to post this message here because the bug report has been
ignored so far.
This is the report:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=31326&group_id=9&atid=498
<http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=31326&group_id=9&atid=498>

Anyway I go to explain it again:
The Shrinkwrap modifier configured as projection doesn't work, as
expected, if the same object has an armature modifier and it's using
vertex groups affected by bones.
Guess you have a biped mesh, then you rig it. After that you want to
project a certain vertex group of the biped against another mesh. If
that vertex group is controlled by a bone you will find this bug,
because the SW modifier will use the main object axis, not the axis of
the bone controlling the vertex group.
I have found some workarounds for certain situations but there is not a
always-working solution. The only way I guessed to solve this bug is to
add a new field in the shrinkwrap modifier to allow different
objects/bones as custom projection axis.

In this simple example you can try to move the bone "monkey" to see how
the projection fails (or, if technically not fail, it doesn't do what is
expected):
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/download.php/9/498/31326/20530/shrinkwrap+armature-bug.blend

Initially I notice this bug cause I'm trying to do a new Anime eye rig.
http://imgur.com/a/v7saB
But with this bug it can not be done. Notice that the previous pictures,
using spheres, were only a concept design, but the real eye rig is
closer to this picture: http://imgur.com/6z519 . And even the eyes will
be part of the body mesh (we need all the body in just 1 object/mesh).
So the usual workarounds won't work.

So,  please, could you fix this bug?

Thanks,

Vicente Carro