[Bf-committers] Possible hope for AMD Radeon cards and Cycles GPU rendering

Akira Shirakawa shirakawa.akira at gmail.com
Fri May 11 03:35:07 CEST 2012

Hello,

On BlenderArtists.org we managed through some dirty "hacking" (not
really source code hacking, but you get the idea) to make supported AMD
Radeon cards to GPU render with Cycles on Blender 2.63 at extremely good
speeds.

Speaking of the probably famous BMW1M-MikePan test scene, we got actual
render times of:

Radeon HD7770: 0:55
Radeon HD6850: 1:40

Some issue still persist. Mainly, by using a 2.62 compiled OpenCL kernel
we restricted ourselves to Cycles features implemented up to Blender
version 2.62. Also for some reason it appears that the OpenCL kernel
gets compiled every time a render is started, which adds significantly
to the overall render time. Lastly, so far only 12.5 beta AMD Catalyst
drivers for Windows appear to make the magic work.

However, we're nothing more than end-users who don't really understand
what's going on. Just that these preliminary results seem *very*
promising and demonstrate that recent AMD video cards can be really good
for rendering.

It would be nice if developers gave a detailed look at this so that the
real causes could be investigated and proper fixes, implemented:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?254521-A-good-news-for-AMD-ATI-Graphic-cards-owners/page4

(also see the rest of this thread for more information and background)

Cheers,
S.A.