[Bf-committers] Proposal on Default Settings

Alberto Torres kungfoobar at gmail.com
Sun May 6 20:04:44 CEST 2012

Hello,

Yes, please to:
- Continuous grab. I would change it for 3D views so the mouse doesn't
wrap inside the area but inside the whole window, but it's not
important.
- Auto-Perspective, and I'd also improve a little known feature where
you can press alt when rotating: it should be using this setting. I
only use keypad and not alt because of this setting alone. On laptops
I would use alt and no numpad emulation would be needed.
- Trackball rotation. It's easy to be used to this setting unless you
only use blender once a month. When the default was changed to
turntable, my co-workers (and former students) and I were having
headaches and we didn't know why until one of us tried to rotate the
camera in the view axis (what you do with trackball when dragging near
a border).
- Default texture type to image or movie and default mapping to UV,
but only if there is an UV layer.
- Disable bone envelopes. Also it's confusing having the same options
both in the modifier and the armature. Which are the good ones?

Please don't:
- Rotate around selection (that's crossed out anyway). It's very
awkward when changing selections (as they're not in the center
usually) and it's much more useful to be used to the behaviiour of
panning and/or using numpad period or shift+B to change the rotation
pivot. Maybe it would be good to have "change rotation pivot when
selecting if selection is in center", it would be much more intuitive
but I'd have to try it to be sure.

Other thoughts:
- I would agree on the view clip to <0.100 if it wouldn't mangle
editmode wireframe.
- I always set autosave to 1 minute and disable manipulator, but I
don't care what are the defaults for this.

My proposals:
I always change console autocompletion to TAB.
Text editor should have ctrl+D for comment, as it has ctrl+shift+D for
uncomment.

Cheers