[Bf-committers] Proposal on Default Settings

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Sun May 6 19:57:40 CEST 2012

Hello,

One good use of defaults is to encourage discovery of differing options.
Starting with an option "on", even if it is later turned "off" at least
shows a new user that the option exists.

For this reason, not only would I keep the 3D manipulator enabled, but I
would also turn all three manipulator modes on by default.  It would not
only show new users that the manipulator does more than just translation,
but also that the modes can be combined.  I would just reduce its size
slightly.

Similarly, I would start with all three Edit Selection modes enabled as
well.  This way it starts in a more general state, where any of vertices,
edges, or faces can be selected, but allows a user to select a more
specific state.  And once again it teaches them that they can be combined.

Harley