[Bf-committers] Proposal on Default Settings

PabloVazquez.org venomgfx at gmail.com
Sun May 6 18:46:43 CEST 2012

Thanks everybody for their feedback.

That's why I made the page and started the discussion.

3D Manipulator:
I agree it should be on by default.
Somebody proposed it and I added it to the list because in all the
courses I give, I find the students (even though I explain and write
the G-R-S tools *big* in the blackboard I still see them moving
everything only with the manipulators, limiting them a lot, but maybe
just a matter of kicking them a bit more :)

About Trackball rotation:
I also have this issue when teaching, the students sometimes get stuck
with Turntable.
Trackball rotation gives you a lot more freedom, you can tilt in all
axis, while in Turntable you can only go to the sides and up/down.

> 2. Emulate 3 button mouse - I feel this should be on since it doesn't change anything even if you use a mouse but also doesn't leave tablet users wondering how to work the 3D view.
+1 on Emulate 3 Button Mouse (I always enable it, and if it doesn't
harm other shortcuts then why not)

> *Ambient Occlusion* to *Multiply* instead of Add
> taking about bad practice, thats usually one

AO on Multiply a bad practice?, I don't really know the technical
background behind this, but I think having it in Add harms your
lighting (unless you remove it from the actual render, and use it in
compo), while in Multiply it only adds shadows.
The AO pass doesn't get affected by this.

--
Pablo Vazquez
CG Artist - Blender Foundation Certified Trainer
E-Mail: contact at pablovazquez.org
Website: http://www.pablovazquez.org