[Bf-committers] Should I write an add-on or a patch?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu May 3 17:49:58 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Tyler Mercer <tyleramercer at gmail.com> wrote:
> @Brecht: Thanks for the advice. I'd actually be creating a duplicate of the
> mesh, subdividing it (simple, not Catmull-Clark), and assigning vertex
> colors, which would then be baked to a UV (with the same coordinates as the
> original, un-subdivided mesh). Do you still recommend putting it in the
> Image Editor or Texture Paint?

Vertex colors are way too low resolution for practical. If you want to
synthesize a texture with enough detail it won't work well this way,
not unless you require very high memory usage by subdividing the mesh
that much. The second issue is that it would be quite a strange
workflow, texturing is usually done elsewhere, it's strange to do it
on a mesh and then require the user to bake it down.

Brecht.