[Bf-committers] Should I write an add-on or a patch?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu May 3 09:53:43 CEST 2012

Hi,

A texture synthesis algorithm would be nice to have in Blender I
think. It wouldn't be a modifier, that's for modifying mesh data, it
would be either a tool in the image editor / texture paint mode, or a
procedural texture (if you can do it with just an isolated x/y/z as
input, depends on the algorithm).

In any case the core implementation of this would have to be in C/C++,
python is too slow for such pixel manipulation but it's what I would
have used for prototyping the code. If you then want to distribute
that as an addon or get it as a feature in Blender is up to you.

Also, linking closed source code like bSurfaces with Blender is not
obviously allowed by the GPL. According to the FSF it is not, but not
everyone agrees on that. Selling a patched Blender would definitely
not be allowed I think.

Brecht.