[Bf-committers] Should I write an add-on or a patch?

Tyler Mercer tyleramercer at gmail.com
Thu May 3 01:18:50 CEST 2012

I'm thinking of writing an automatic texture synthesizer for blender.
Basically, it would take an input texture and seamlessly texture a manifold
mesh with the same texture. (I've already come up with a relatively
efficient algorithm for doing this.) This would make texturing something
such as a character much less of a hassle.

Should I write a new modifier, or just write an add-on?
A modifier would (I assume) be more efficient, since C++ is lower-level
than Python, and I'd much rather use C++ than Python. (I already know the
basics of C++, and I know Java. Python is too loose and not powerful
enough, in my opinion)