[Bf-committers] Numpy integration

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue May 1 08:01:35 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Dan Eicher <dan at trollwerks.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Eugenio Pignataro <info at oscurart.com.ar> wrote:
>> I have my python 3.2.3  compiled from source in Ubuntu 12.04.
>>
>> Cmake can't find numpy.
>> My folder : /usr/local/lib/python3.2/site-packages is empty.
>>
>> What I need?
>>
> Your OS most likely installs the python packages in /usr/lib while
> cmake is apparently looking for them in /usr/local/lib -- where I'd
> imagine you have cmake looking for your custom installed python.
>
> Probably just a matter of making (or fixing) a FindNUMPY.cmake module
> (which IMHO all libs should have *cough*ffmpeg*cough*)
>
> Dan

Dont think we should have a FindNUMPY.cmake, the location of python is
already found with FindPythonLibsUnix.cmake,
Numpy is being checked in the python installation which will be copied
on `make install`

if you have numpy in different python installation theres no guarantee
its going to work in the one thats found (if they are compiled with
different unicode width or ABI flags for eg, numpy won't load)

Its a bit annoying that people who built their own python now also
need to build their own numpy but this is something we can document
(setup.py args for a custom python path), and nowadays python3.2+numpy
should be available in most linux package repositories.

--
- Campbell