[Bf-committers] New-User Interface Proposal

patrick boelens p_boelens at msn.com
Sat Mar 31 01:51:47 CEST 2012

"The solution is not more documentation. The people who avoid Blender because it's difficult to use
are not going to change their mind because you offer them text to read, or
because it is more customizable. They may change their mind if Blender
becomes easier to use."

I have to disagree on this one. I think it's pretty much a given that trying any new software package will
require some reading/ explaining. At least, I know I couldn't jump right into Maya or Vue and get right
at it. Every software package has it's own paradigm that needs to be made clear to the user.
A different UI may help with this somewhat, but it would also make some information go lost.
I.e.: While buttons for Vertex Select, Edge Select, Face Select and Object Select make it easier for a
first-time user, it would not make them aware they're switching Modes, which is a bad thing for such
something as context-based as Blender.
I feel the previously mentioned in-line help could make a big difference though. Maybe the option to
have a taller splash screen, listing useful links and such (turned on by default)?

Also, I think it's difficult to define "easier to use" in this case; it all depends on where the new user's
coming from, and which paradigms they're used to.

Having the same button used to both start and confirm the action as shown in your video seems to
only make things more complicated imo though. Left-click or enter to confirm seems pretty intuitive to me.

Sorry I'm not more positive about your proposal. I can see part of the frustration for new users, but
I wonder if it's really -that- much harder than going from, say, C4D to Max, or Maya to Softimage.
(Could be though.)

-Patrick