[Bf-committers] New-User Interface Proposal

Jorge Rodriguez jorge at lunarworkshop.com
Sat Mar 31 00:38:41 CEST 2012

Perhaps I named my proposal wrong. My intention is not to make a crippled
UI only for first-time users. My intention is to make a full UI that is
easier to understand and would fully support everything Blender has to
offer, just as the default Blender UI has right now. It will not be a
"second" UI, it will be a primary UI.

Also, like I say in my proposal, I'm not interested in making a
Maya-compliant key config. That's much smaller than the scope of this
proposal. Many of the things I want to do can not be done right now in
Blender, I know this because I have investigated the Blender code and
created patches to Blender that support the new interaction models that I
want. I've already done a bit of work on this task. It took me two weeks,
so I think that completing the list is not out of the scope of work of a
GSoC project.

The problem as I see it is that Blender's adoption has been weak, in large
part because Blender is not friendly to new users. The solution is not more
documentation. The people who avoid Blender because it's difficult to use
are not going to change their mind because you offer them text to read, or
because it is more customizable. They may change their mind if Blender
becomes easier to use. That's what I want to accomplish - make Blender
easier to use.

--
Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez
jorge at lunarworkshop.com