[Bf-committers] New-User Interface Proposal

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 00:34:20 CEST 2012

Hi Jorge,

creating an interface is something almost guaranteed not to be
accepted.  However improving customization of the UI might well be
accepted.  Ie tools to more easily create custom button panels and
reorganize their layout.  Tools to more easily change keybindings and
to resolve conflicts between keybindings when a change happens.  Work
on macro creation/editing and binding to a button.  Tools to edit
content and layout of panels and tabs.  Improving customization would
then make it easy to create a 'more maya/3ds max like' gui for those
who want it (or for you to make one yourself and then distribute it,
etc.).

The tasks you list in your project are mostly pretty easy (ie you have
already created a hide 3d cursor preference; one can already set
custom keybindings and mousebindings to make right click be selection;
making a hotkey that does a macro to switch to editmode and then
change to a particular selection subtype should be fairly easy).  You
do mention 'an alternative way to do what the 3d cursor does' but that
needs a lot more detail to determine if it is an adequate task to do
for gsoc and/or if it is a desireable change.

So if you restate/refocus your project as tools for improved/easier
customization - I suspect you will have a much improved likelihood of
acceptance.

Note also that another direction you could refocus your proposal is
improving the design for tablets (which your ui design happens to be
well suited for).

LetterRip