[Bf-committers] New-User Interface Proposal

Gianmichele Mariani g.mariani at liquidnet.it
Fri Mar 30 23:57:33 CEST 2012

I can understand your point of view, but most of the things that you
describe, except for the Object/Edit/Other various modes and the cosmetics,
can already be done in Blender.

I think we're trying to solve lack of a good documentation by just changing
Blender's interface. And believe me changing to edit mode is a lot easier
than having to find an editable mesh modifier in 3ds max!

I have made a fully functional Maya keymap, that other artists in the
studio where I work are using, easing their transition in a tremendous way.
Unfortunately due to a bug in the export/import code I have not made it
public yet (you can download the startup.blend file from the bug attachment
in the tracker if you want to try it). I'm also recording a pretty
extensive video guide for Maya users that want to quickly migrate to
Blender.

I think that clearly documenting this is a much clever way of attracting
other artists to the software, rather than trying to change drastically
Blender.

Hope this helps.

Just my 2c.

Gian