[Bf-committers] Preparing Blender for GateKeeper

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 18:47:56 CEST 2012

"Gatekeeper is a major security feature in Mountain Lion that gives
us^H^Hyou control over which apps can be downloaded and installed on
your Mac."

Here's the best explanation and analysis I've found regarding
GateKeeper, from long-time (and well-respected) Mac developers Panic:
http://www.panic.com/blog/2012/02/about-gatekeeper/

In a nutshell: GateKeeper differs from the app store in that Apple
does not review the software, does not control its distribution, and
does not take a 30% cut. They're basically a certificate authority in
this case and nothing else.

On the surface I see no conflicts with the GPL. The artist/developer
community can still use, share and modify blender to the same extent.
If they want to distribute modified binaries (on graphicall for
instance), they can either sign them or leave them unsigned.

Should we comply and sign official blender builds? Yes. There's no
reason to scare our users right out of the box. Learning the hot-keys
is scary enough!

I personally think it's tacky to scare your customers "Windows Vista"
style, especially the way Apple scares them toward the app store (for
their safety, has nothing to do with the 30%, right?), but that's
Apple's call. As a long-time Mac user, I hope GateKeeper is as far as
they go, that it's not just the first step away from freedom.

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire