[Bf-committers] Compositing View Port Proposal

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 14:52:03 CEST 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Antony Riakiotakis <kalast at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not entirely true about FBOs. We already support offscreen buffers
> using the GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension. This has a way broader
> support.

The intent of the proposal is to generalize the use of FBO.  Thinking
about it more, an FBO is not strictly needed except to limit copying
or in case the results need to be persistent.  Complex fx could be
created purely through glCopySubImage.

re: selection

I'm probably going to punt on rewriting any complex parts of the view
drawing code if they are potential tar-pits that would keep a core
functionality from getting done.  It is possible to have old and new
code live side by side, with "FX" being a new view drawing mode in the
old system.  Every editor might not be compatible with the new mode.

> Jason, while thinking of this I also thought it would be nice to
> easily override or modify an objects shader to provide for needed
> state (I was thinking of modifying the fragment shader for selection
> for instance, to write depth values in the framebuffer, but could be
> nice for various effects).

This would be a basic feature (at least if you mean completely
overriding a shader, not partially).