[Bf-committers] Blender developer meeting notes, 25 march 2012

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Mar 25 18:33:42 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Here's the notes from today's meeting.

1) Blender 2.63 progress

- Reminder: release schedule & targets:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects

- Campbell reports on BMesh.

Better Python docs:
http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_62_2/bmesh.html

Added documentation on updating Python scripts to new BMesh API: http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_62_2/info_gotcha.html#ngons-and-tessellation-faces

Further, an 'inset' tool was added, and a lot of fixes and Python API improvements done.

- Bug reports still stream in! Just over 20 per day... we'll be busy!

- Proposal: do a beta testbuild this week, to get a decent test/reference build for reporters.

- Thomas Dinges mentions that Blender svn isn't very stable now. Putting everyone's focus on fixing bugs is much needed! Meeting agrees on bugfix-only for now, and will review next week whether test/fixing period will be extended.

2) Other projects

- Daniel Genrich is working on smoke simulation; to allow moving objects to move smoke around. He had to do quite some bugfixing along the way, so it'll take longer than expected.

- Campbell points everyone at the coding style, for which now a wide consensus exists. Please try to follow this!
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/CodeStyle

3) Google Summer of Code

- Tomorrow student application starts! Mentors can also still apply now.

- The main Blender page on the GSoC site:
  http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/blender

- Question: do we get a poster for advertisement? Gottfried Hoffman will make one with fluid simulation image, to put on walls in University of Erlangen (Where Nils Thuerey graduated). It would be wonderful if we can get Erlangen to adopt Elbeem for student projects in general.

Thanks,

-Ton-