[Bf-committers] Need ideas on COLLADA improvement for GSoC

Jass gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Wed Mar 21 13:06:15 CET 2012

I mentioned one idea a few weeks ago regarding organization of
exporter/importer development. Here is an update:

1.) Create a "Blender Collada Core" which is built in c and which
builds on top of the openCollada libraries. This core would support all
features that Blender WANTS to expose to Collada (allows to export).
Ideally the importer/exporter pair should allow lossless round trip.
I believe that it CAN be done because the Collada specifications allow
insertion of tool dependent data. Of course the lossless roundtrip
would only work reliably for blender -> collada -> blender round trips.

2.) Add the ability to "inject" preparation scripts and post processing
scripts into the export or import. These scripts could keep target specific
adjustments. The script injection would be doable via a python API,
such that...

3.) Now each target (such as Second Life, Maya, 3DS max, ...) can be
supported by adding target specific exporters/importer addons.
These addons can do anything starting from just presetting or fixing
the exporter options (that's what i would do for the hypothetical
Second Life exporter right now), or add more elaborate changes
like adding an XSL Transformation to the exported .dae or whatever.

in my opinion such an approach would help a lot to keep target
dependencies out of the Blender Collada implementation. It would
also help less skilled programmers to keep hands off blender code :)
and separate target specific development into python scripts.

cheers,
Gaia