[Bf-committers] A question about blenders use of ffmpeg and grey area codecs

Dave Plater lst dplater.list at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 23:08:25 CET 2012

On 03/20/2012 10:58 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Dave Plater lst<dplater.list at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 03/17/2012 01:09 AM, Campbell Barton wrote:
>>> Do you have a link to the patches you're applying to blender?

>> Which is not a legal problem, this is similar to what for example kde's kaffeine does with codecs.
> Here's the solution I came up with for 2.62. I modified the cmake
> config using this patch[1] so that everything is handled by the
> WITH_CODEC_FFMPEG cmake option. I think this patch should be
> acceptable upstream and then you would only need to use the
> DISTRIBUTABLE conditional in one place.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

What I'm looking for is an expert explanation of what the functions with mpeg, xvid and divx are actually for because I think, parts for
linking in ffmpeg audio besides, they aren't a legal problem except for their names possibly.

By the way could you send me a link for your patch or source rpm please Richard, I've got a build error concerning missing variables atm.
Dave