[Bf-committers] Mango development notes

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 05:33:25 CET 2012

On Mar 15, 2012 11:54 AM, "Tom M" <letterrip at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just emailed sergey some links on light reconstruction, but nothing
> jumped out as being great.

A typical HDRI approach is a well bracketed sphere map of the lighting from
the position of the CGI elements. Three stops up, one at exposure, and
three down, merged into a properly linearized HDR image.

Blender will obviously struggle at the merging procedure as we currently
don't have a mapped color space, only a linear model.

A rather useful thing might be to somehow generate a 3D reconstruction in
addition to the HDR, to correctly position lighting elements. This might
make it extremely useful for generating lighting positions and correct
falloff.

A "Project from View" onto this 3D lighting reconstruction would also
account for various interactive lighting elements such as intermittently
occluded lights, lighting cues, etc.

Are we currently able to use a "Project from View'" approach with an image
sequence?

With respect,
TJS