[Bf-committers] Reference counting, deleting data and fake users

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Thu Mar 15 05:47:17 CET 2012

Agreed.  As long as this is the paradigm, then this makes sense as a
default.  However, I think it's not at all obvious that this is a good
paradigm as Blender moves forward.  I remember this was a concern that
William had in the Big Buck Bunny days as well.  Not sure if he's
around to weigh in on that.

The main benefit of the current "garbage collection" style paradigm is
that since data/asset management is quite anemic in Blender right now,
this prevents tons of unused data from piling up.  During Sintel, for
example, we would end up with files that had huge numbers of unused
actions, and manually deleting them (even one-click per action) would
have been a pain.

So perhaps as Blender gains a good data/asset management interface, we
can start thinking about shifting away from automatic garbage
collection, and towards a more manual-deletion paradigm...?

--Nathan