[Bf-committers] Bf-committers Digest, Vol 92, Issue 13

trouble daemon troubledaemon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:53:44 CET 2012

My apologies! My original post got bounced since I inlined the patch.
The reply you got here was only about 1/4 of my post. I will repaste
to clarify some of my points I was trying to make.

Original email:

-----
I was messing around with imperial units in blender and found it to be
a pita. I dug around a bit and thought I would offer some ideas.

The patch below, while incomplete (didn't bother to fill the area
structs for the new 1/2, 1/4 etc units for eg.) and proper
english/spelling, seems to be somewhat of a step in the right
direction. Specifically, I think that yards should either always be
hidden, or checkboxes should maybe be added to allow the user to
enable and disable the units he would like to see.  I even thought a
new button on the panel specifically called "Architectural" that
specifically turns off yards and enabled fractions, would be a good
way to go.

To give you an idea, when I want to work on a blueprint to model
something and create an object 9' long, I don't want to see 3yd, I
want to see 9' :) I also messed with the idea of using 1/2, 1/4, 1/8,
1/16 and 1/32 units and seems to display fine, but needs some more
thought in the area of dealing with the fact that the input box also
allows math in it, so the position of the -1/2 has to be very precise
it seems. Also, I was unable to figure out how to tell blender to not
use fractions in front of the unit type. eg: it shows 1.5-1/2" instead
of 1-1/4".

I think that the most important problem though is that you can't enter
in actual inches or feet etc, when doing transforms. Blender seems to
limit me to only metric like numbers. Just allowing imperial units in
any translations would be very useful (along with disabling yard
displaying perhaps).

Anyways, if any of you coders out there feel bored, please take a
look. I think this is one area where blender is needs a few lines of
TLC :D  Take care o/

http://www.pasteall.org/30003
-----

PS - I will reply to the responses in a second post to avoid another
bounced email! Sorry! :)

troubled