[Bf-committers] Imperial units in architectural context

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 22:20:15 CET 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding http://www.pasteall.org/30003
>
> Rather then adding "half-inch", "thirtysecond-inch"... etc, think it
> would be better to add a flag to "inch" that it can display as
> fractions.
>
> This is some more work but avoids adding cruft.
>
> The other thing that is tricky is how to correctly parse this back as
> input, since the buttons can take arithmetic as input, mixed with
> dimensions...
> "-1/4\""
>
> would currently translate to...
> -1/4*0.0254
>
> Its possible that imperial unit display cant be easily parsed (or it
> might have to have a custom parser written)
> this may be harder to solve if we are to keep
> button-display-as-button-input working.

I know that people used to imperial units have a hard time with metric
but I really think that people need to change to metric and forcing
Blender to work with all these strange units is a big waste of time.
BTW I come from the USA. Being able to enter units in imperial units
is nice but why not just let the readout be in normal units. I mean
1/4 and inch is ok but so is .25 and in a lot of ways it is way easier
to think in the second way. As an American I think having units like 2
feet 6.25 inches is just fine.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!