[Bf-committers] Blender and SDL

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 15:41:18 CET 2012

Hi, just tested building with SDL, it needed some update - so be sure
to try r44850 or newer,

as for finding the latest SDL, you just need to point CMake to it.

# sdl
./configure --prefix=/opt/sdl13; make -j; make install

#blender, the find modules often check and environment variable
SDLDIR=/opt/sdl13 cmake ../blender

... or you can set the cmake vars manually on an existing
configuration, from my CMakeConfig.txt

SDLMAIN_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/opt/sdl13/lib/libSDLmain.a
SDL_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/opt/sdl13/include/SDL
SDL_LIBRARY:STRING=/opt/sdl13/lib/libSDLmain.a;/opt/sdl13/lib/libSDL.so;-lpthread

This isn't special for SDL, it works the same way when pointing CMake
to any non-standard version of a lib (OpenEXR, Boost, libtiff... etc)

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Wander Lairson Costa
<wander.lairson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working in a project which will run blender games in a custom
> embedded hardware (although it uses the well known x86/x86_64
> architecture), running a home made Linux system. This custom hardware
> has a dual monitor output, and designers team would like the two
> monitors being treated as just a large one, so they can run visual
> effects across monitors easily. The strategy which I am thinking is to
> embed the blenderplayer app.
>
> I have been doing some tests and noticed that blenderplayer under X11
> backend running on fullscreen mode always put the window in the
> "current monitor" on a dual monitor system. Does have any way to
> blender run a game in a dual monitor system treating both monitors as
> a large one?
>
> I did some tests with SDL and it seems it can do what I am looking
> for, so I tried to build blender with SDL backend. First I tried SDL
> 1.2 and later discovered that the SDL backend implementation inside
> ghost library relies on SDL >= 1.3. Thus I downloaded SDL 2.0 sources
> [1], compiled and tried to build blender again. Not success again. The
> problem is that blender uses the FindSDL.cmake module from cmake (I
> didn't try SCons), which only supports SDL <= 1.2.
>
> [1] http://hg.libsdl.org/SDL
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Wander Lairson Costa