[Bf-committers] Blender and SDL

Wander Lairson Costa wander.lairson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 15:02:28 CET 2012

Hi,

I am working in a project which will run blender games in a custom
embedded hardware (although it uses the well known x86/x86_64
architecture), running a home made Linux system. This custom hardware
has a dual monitor output, and designers team would like the two
monitors being treated as just a large one, so they can run visual
effects across monitors easily. The strategy which I am thinking is to
embed the blenderplayer app.

I have been doing some tests and noticed that blenderplayer under X11
backend running on fullscreen mode always put the window in the
"current monitor" on a dual monitor system. Does have any way to
blender run a game in a dual monitor system treating both monitors as
a large one?

I did some tests with SDL and it seems it can do what I am looking
for, so I tried to build blender with SDL backend. First I tried SDL
1.2 and later discovered that the SDL backend implementation inside
ghost library relies on SDL >= 1.3. Thus I downloaded SDL 2.0 sources
[1], compiled and tried to build blender again. Not success again. The
problem is that blender uses the FindSDL.cmake module from cmake (I
didn't try SCons), which only supports SDL <= 1.2.

[1] http://hg.libsdl.org/SDL

--
Best Regards,
Wander Lairson Costa