[Bf-committers] kickstarter for VSE ?

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 03:36:52 CET 2012

On Mar 12, 2012 11:18 AM, "Pittsburgh Filmmakers Institute" <
digital at pghfilmmakers.org> wrote:
> I was wondering if there would be any interest in having a kickstarter
project
> started for someone to work on Blender's VSE, taking most of the ideas
from
> places like http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Requests/Sequencer

While a funding approach is fine on paper, there is probably a bit of
ground to cover prior to such an undertaking.

1) Backing of the BF. Mr. R is the leader of this ship and the core
committers would need buy-in prior to any such attempt or much of the work
would appear to be for naught.

2) What is the design pattern? Offline systems are geared towards more
advanced production and reflect an entirely different workflow to a wholly
online system. There are also challenges within both regarding design
decisions. If history is any indicator, a bit of research and wiki
documentation outlining the desired approach seems to be a better method to
move forward than a hasty move. The examples in the wiki are all over the
map in terms of overarching design goals, and in some instances run counter
to each other.

Two pennies from a worthless idiot. I am entirely in support of moving
components along, but I'd worry that without a concrete design plan with
rationale, we'd likely be no further along than where we currently are.

With respect,
TJS