[Bf-committers] proposal: python interface for object statistics ...

Gaia Clary gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Fri Mar 9 00:32:55 CET 2012

So i took another round on this and here is my idea
after i have seen Sean's contribution.

What about having 3 statistic sets for Scene, Object and Mesh.

In Object mode the default is the Scene statistic.
In edit mode the default is the Mesh statistic.

Here are 3 images how it may look:

Scene: http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=28055
Object: http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=28056
mesh: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=28057

The statistics sets can be selected at any time.
Such everybody could adjust them to their own needs.

Would that be an approach, doable, understandable,  appreciated ?

cheers,
Gaia

Am 08.03.2012 23:04, schrieb Sean Olson:
> This has always bugged me.  Pulling the information that I need out of that
> stats header always feels slower than it should be because you have to
> visually and mentally play puzzle games to figure out the information that
> you are after.  (Even while righting this I looked at my header and said to
> myself, "La: 1 - what the hell is that...  ...  oh, lamps."  This happens
> all the time.  When I don't need to put objects on another layer it's slow,
> when I do, it's tedious.  Anyway, I made a mockup of what I would like to
> see.
>
> A mouse over of the header stats will bring up a flyout of all the relevant
> stats in a much more organized and readable manner.  I personally would
> like to see just a 'stats' button because the header looks messy to me, but
> I'm sure many love those stats with no mouse movement.  Anyway, here is the
> quick mockup - we could also add icons for face/verts/edges that are
> already in the 3dview header to make this more readable.
>
> Without further ado: The mockup
>
> http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7656/ss20120308170416.png
>
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Ton Roosendaal<ton at blender.org>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Such changes we better not do. This statistic should be a reliable piece
>> of information for the scene. Selection can be drawn next to it, but not
>> instead-of.
>>
>> -Ton-

>> Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation   ton at blender.org    www.blender.org
>> Blender Institute   Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam   The Netherlands
>>
>> On 8 Mar, 2012, at 19:26, Gaia Clary wrote:
>>
>>> this patch seems to do what i propose:
>>>
>>>      http://www.pasteall.org/29834
>>>
>>> In object mode it shows the derived facecount and derived vertex count
>>> of the selected objects.
>>> In edit mode it displays the mesh facecount and the mesh vertex count .
>>>
>>> When i change the selection in Object mode, the numbers update as
>> expected.
>>> When i add/remove/modify a modifier in object mode, the numbers change
>>> as expected.
>>> When i select the visible scene, i get the old numbers as expected.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Gaia