[Bf-committers] gsoc 2012

Tobias Kummer supertoilet at gmx.net
Tue Mar 6 09:12:30 CET 2012

I proposed integrating physbam on the blenderartists thread, and got some positive replies. Now the point was brought up that this would render all the hard work that went into the current simulation tools obsolete. There is a point to that, but imho I think that this would be a mayor step into bringing blender up to date as a vfx tool. Is it better to overhaul the whole system and make it future-proof or keep the old stuff and have the problem of abandonement (like the fluid sim for example)? I think it's not the worst of ideas to have a library that's developed externally for a feature of that scope.
There are undeniable upsides to the physbam library. The often talked about interaction between simulations, e.g. burning liquids or cloth interacting with fluids is possible with it, because it works in a unified domain.
Letterrip, I think you uttered the worries that there is no access to the various modules unless one has contributed. Last time I checked (about 3 months ago), all the modules were readily avaioable in the source, some also including example files.
I think it's more feasible to integrate a tried-and-true library than to tinker with the current tools and make efforts to bring them to a more professional level. Because most of the users wishes on the blenderartist thread are already builtin, be it the interaction between sims or moving obstacles for smoke sim.
I'm not a coder so I'm just throwing this in here for discussion. But the opportunity to integrate a library that would make such an impact on blenders vfx capabilities should at least be discussed, not rejected because much 'own' work would be made obsolete by it.

Regards,
Tobi

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:Hi all,

Here's the notes from today's meeting:

1) current projects

- Today BCon2 starts, which means we should freeze the release targets now.
  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects

- Lukas Toenne finished group nodes patch, awaits review still, added to release targets.

- Cambell Barton fixed BMesh docs as agreed last week. Check his week report here:
  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ideasman42/WhatImWorkingOn#Week_80_.28Feb_27.29

- Lukas also is working on custom nodes: (similar to pynode, as first step towards plugins)
https://www.gitorious.org/~lukastoenne/blenderprojects/blender-lukastoenne/commits/custom_nodes

- Bastien Montagne worked on new/better definition for "Hinge" bone:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Mont29/Dev/Pose_Bone_RotScale_Parenting

- Nicholas Bishop: sculpt masking is getting closer to finished, there are patches and documentation links here: http://nicholasbishop.net/wordpress/?p=44

- Sculpting partial-visibility patch has been reviewed and is ready.
  http://codereview.appspot.com/5695043/

2) Google Summer of Code

- End of this week is deadline for submitting Blender Foundation as Google Summer of code organization. Tom Musgrove will be handling this, Ton Roosendaal will coordinate the day-to-day GSoC duties.

User wish list;
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/GoogleSummerOfCode/2012/Wishlist

Official page for developers:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/GoogleSummerOfCode/2012/Ideas

- The target is to get the official ideas page to only mention ideas that:
  a) are commonly accepted projects, fitting in roadmap
  b) are being backed up by the module owners
  c) are likely to get a mentor who can also review code and help migrating code to trunk

Thanks,

-Ton-