[Bf-committers] 3D Cursor and Border Select

Rick Yorgason rick at longbowgames.com
Thu Mar 1 08:25:47 CET 2012

Maybe this was lost to time, but during 2.5 development there was a plan
was to implement a new keymap, and it included changing select to
left-click, and set 3D cursor to shift+right-click:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/UI/Keyboard_Layouts

That design was written by William Reynish. Unfortunately, I don't think
he's had much involvement with Blender development for a year and a half.

Oh, and I agree with all the stuff that's been iterated in this thread:
LMB for selection is a nearly universal paradigm, and eschewing it
confuses beginners and hinders adoption; Blender's schizophrenic use of
LMB and RMB in different contexts is untenable; and assigning an
infrequently used function (settings the 3D cursor) to LMB (easily the
most frequently used binding in other programs) is a very puzzling
design decision.

-Rick-