[Bf-committers] Fedora 17 updated to OpenImageIO version 1.0.5 No longer links Blender

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 17:28:46 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Terry Wallwork
<terrywallwork at netscape.net> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Sorry for the noise, it links here also, I just needed to delete the
> Blender source and build files to get it to compile and link against the
> newer OIIO version.

Glad it was an easy fix :) Another good think about using rpmbuild, it
starts a "clean" build every time :)

> On the rpm building advice.  The reason I tend not to use it, is
> sometimes Fedora doesn't keep up with the version of Python that Blender
> often wants to use, same with ffmpeg (fusion can take a while to get
> newer ffmpeg versions).  I download the Python, FFMPEG, OpenCollada,
> Numpy, sources with by build script so I don't have to wait for Fedora's
> rpm's to catch up with what Blender needs.  Though recently the version
> of Python Fedora ships in rpm and what Blender needs have been recent
> enough.

I can see that but it would also be trivial to pull those source RPM's
and just update the source files to the version you need. On a side
note I'm also the openCOLLADA maintainer. I keep them pretty up to
date but as openCOLLADA doesn't maintain a stable API/ABI I use
abi-compliance-checker to check for ABI breakages and only update if
there isn't one, however, you can always pull the SRPM from rawhide
since I keep it pretty current and rebuild it for whatever Fedora
release you're on.

Richard