[Bf-committers] Color to greyscale conversion - confusion

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:31:30 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That makes no sense to me. When is this person going to show up? What
>>> makes you think he will ever come? Best to find the answer now and not
>>> incur any more debt.
>>
>> That was the purpose of this thread, since nobody knows - we better at
>> least document that this is a mystery so anyone reading the code is
>> aware,
>> this doesn't incur technical debt - it just exposes it.
>>
>> See:
>> http://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php/trunk/blender/source/blender/blenlib/intern/math_color_inline.c?root=bf-blender&r1=48259&r2=48258&pathrev=48259
>>
>> --
>> - Campbell
>
> I am never against documenting but we have found a problem. Why not
> find the answer?
>
> Really I can't see any reason not to go with the visual space way and
> I would go with the GIMP way so that the users can assume a standard
> way exists and be right at least partly. I can see no reason not to go
> with one standard that looks good. I don't have a deep understanding
> of this but it would seem that there is only one reason to go from
> color to grayscale; so it looks good.

Agree - however this is decision should be made by one of the existing
maintainers of our shading/texturing code.

If this change is made, users may well report bugs that their scenes
now look different, it could even make displace modifier work
different in some cases for eg. Stuff you wouldn't necessarily expect,
so compatibility with existing scenes needs to be taken into account.
Also whats correct probably isn't clear cut. So I'll leave this one
for someone else who is responsible for this area of blender.