[Bf-committers] rigging [was: Re: The Future of Blender Projects WAS meeting notes]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Jun 18 23:25:31 CEST 2012

On Mon, June 18, 2012 2:44 pm, Dan Eicher wrote:
> The Big Buck Bunny rigs use the mesh deform modifier which I'd imagine
> isn't supported by any exporters -- could be wrong though.
>
> Basically rig-->deform mesh-->character mesh so you'd have to export
> the def mesh to <other program> def mesh and have the armature drive
> that.
>
> I'm guessing that no game engine uses a harmonic-mesh whatever to
> drive a fps animated character?

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that soon.

IMO this kind of knowledge should not be required of the user to allow
them to export a rig. The system can and should notify the user when
issues like that are encountered. From a usability perspective Blender
falls short on these type of operations because it seems the main focus is
on power and flexibility at the expense of usability.

For example with the rigify system the user is given some default bones
but they are expected to know how to resize them, position them, attach
them, name them, generate the rig, potentially deform or remove
unnecessary settings before attempting to export.

All those steps between selecting a new arm rig and exporting could be
handled by blender taking out the guesswork and making an attempt at
handling the various steps for the user. Blender already knows all the
details so it is best placed to make perfect choices saving time and
effort for the user.

The rigging example is not the only place where these time savings could
be achieved.

It is nice for developers if they don't have to spend as much effort on
usability but it is a complete nightmare for normal users.  So, in
addition to planning for future development efforts usability should be a
prerequisite goal.

The massive amounts of development that have been undertaken over the past
4 years are really amazing. Burning some brainwaves on enabling Blender to
be as intuitive for users as it is for developers is not a waste of
effort. However it requires Developers to get inside the head of average
user and not just create stuff that works for them.

It's a fine balance for sure and I have no doubt that there will be
resistance to the general idea.

Stooopid users, Bah, who needs em!

--
Patrick Shirkey