[Bf-committers] rigging [was: Re: The Future of Blender Projects WAS meeting notes]

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 18 15:08:26 CEST 2012

Am 18.06.2012 14:44, schrieb Dan Eicher:
> The Big Buck Bunny rigs use the mesh deform modifier which I'd imagine
> isn't supported by any exporters -- could be wrong though.
>
> Basically rig-->deform mesh-->character mesh so you'd have to export
> the def mesh to<other program>  def mesh and have the armature drive
> that.
>
> I'm guessing that no game engine uses a harmonic-mesh whatever to
> drive a fps animated character?
>
> Dan

As far a i could see any game engine was happy to use armature animation
together with driven shapekeys. With the right drivers this can deliver
really good results while being very efficient to compute, even so there
might be some extra work done on the models compared to deform cages.

I'm currently working on a system that allows the editor to pose a bone
and to add a shapekey for this pose (both as a pair). Then he goes to
the next pose and creates a second shapekey and so on. If the user now
poses a bone the system automatically finds the desired influence for
any related shapes. That way he can create as many shapes as he needs
without bothering about the mathematical background to interpolate
between them.