[Bf-committers] Floating buttons proposal

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Jun 15 16:01:43 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm missing details on how you interact with these floating things, a
mockup, an example for how they would be used, etc. For me it seems
that this would be another way to present what we already have in
panels and menus. So how do these coexist, what goes where? Right now
we basically have a toolbar, a redo panel, and properties of the
space.

Could they be some sort of region inside a space like we have now, but
overlayed with a transparent background?

Also explicit values for pixel sizes should be avoided in scripts,
that doesn't work well with a zoomable interface, and makes it more
complicated to drop in a button between others. It's nice to allow
flexibility but in the end I think you mostly want e.g. a row of icons
for a toolbar, or undocking some panel, .. ? So it may not need that
many layout code changes, that seems lower priority to me.

Brecht.