[Bf-committers] Masks are not only for Mattes

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 19:43:46 CEST 2012

IMO linking track to mask should be done in compositor by linking data
together.
Lets drop tracker, and talk about animation. Let say you have a 3 object
animated in your scene. You get its position to screen and need some kind
of shape around it (for whatever reason you can image). So you would link
this data onto the Shape anchor point, and then animate the shape itself,
all that in the compositor.

Another case : I mixed a few stock footage together to create a nice
explosion. Now I need to place this explosion on the ground, and I would
like to draw a mask around it to blend it and feather it a bit more with my
background. How do you that ?  - Creating a node in comp to bring back data
into Clip editor ? you loose the interactivity of quick masking
- Render your explosion footage first, bring it into the clip editor, do
the mask on it and looking into another compositor output viewer to see how
the masking I'm doing in Clip Editor is looking so far ? huge waste of
time, and not so confortable

Masking need to be flexible, re-usable, and as interactive as it can get.
Having it in CE is nice for garbage masking (with a big G) which can be
used by trackers to know which track area it should use, or perhaps for
keying... but not for compositing at all.

But again, I guess this is just the first step of a long time wanted
feature :)