[Bf-committers] "Make Edge/Face" should have limit

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 24 02:35:19 CEST 2012

In some recent discussions about the new possibilities with BMesh and
the changes in work flow we came to the conclusion that it might be
useful to add an option to the "Make Edge/Face" operator to limit the
number of vertices for faces. Especially when doing re-topology on a
mesh (building a new surface over an existing surface) it happens quite
often that the user accidentally creates a face with five vertices.
Four vertices from the front and one accidentally selected vertex from
the backside. Since BMesh creates the face like any other face, without
any warning, it happens quite frequently. Deleting and correcting such
faces later on is quite a time killer (they are hard to select).

I would propose to add the option "max vertices" or "limit to quads" to
the operator. If the user has this option enabled Blender would only
create faces with equal or less vertices and giving an error message
(notification) if more vertices are selected. Could be quite helpful for
various tasks, when having polygons with more then four vertices is not
desired by the user.

Greetings from
Tobias Oelgarte