[Bf-committers] Blender Default LUTs

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 20:58:50 CEST 2012

In the interest of trying to get a decent starting point of LUTs
together, I thought I'd throw out the question as to what basic LUTs
should Blender support out of the default configuration?

We should probably consider the historical Blender legacy here and
provide a most minimal transition for Blender artists. With that goal
in mind, I propose that we keep Blender's internal color space as
close as possible to the existing conditions.

This shouldn't impact those that wish to extend Blender to other
pipelines, but rather keep the default configuration sane for those
that are migrating into color managed workflows.

I've loosely documented some thoughts at
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Sobotka/Color_Management/Blender_CM_Integration,
with the LUT section at
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Sobotka/Color_Management/Blender_CM_Integration#Proposed_LUTs.

Interested to hear any thoughts on the matter.

With respect,
TJS

PS: Within OCIO, it is obviously possible to achieve some LUT-like
effects without an actual LUT. The term is used merely to reduce the
terminology to something that an artist may see in the final Blender
interface.