[Bf-committers] Keys to control mask feather

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 18:50:05 CEST 2012

Hi, I don't really follow your rationale - current keys are not ideal,
I can accept this but would like to see clearer explanation of whats
wrong with current system.

as I see it:

* Ctrl+Click to add points to masks is fine
... this works in 3d view curve, surface and mesh editmodes, also it
works in FCurve editing. it does not conflict with snapping which uses
control for a modal operation.

* Agree holding Ctrl when moving a mask feather, to move all other
feather points is a bit odd.
... especially since Shift has this same functionality when dragging
out a feather point for the first time.

Having a `first time` behavior for adding feather may be OK, but in
that case it shouldn't be inconsistent with further operations.

Possible solutions:

1) remove first time behavior for dragging out feather, make Alt a
modal key shortcut you can hold to draw all other points
This way...
* ctrl can be used for adding points and optionally used for snapping.
* shift click to drag out feather points can be kept (this means shift
for subtle movement - realize this conflicts with shift for 1/10th
motion).

2) Keep first time behavior for shift+drag but use Alt as a modal key
rather then Ctrl for every time the tool is accessed after.

Im not all that happy with mask allowing left mouse selection - as you
say it gives conflicts with shift+select.
IMHO we should remove that functionality but thats a bigger discussion.

- Campbell