[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [48958] branches/soc-2011-tomato/release/ datafiles/colormanagement/config.ocio: Color management: cleanup of ocio config file

Xavier Thomas xavier.thomas.1980 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:25:32 CEST 2012

I tested a bit more deeply the tomato branch and found (personal opinion)
that the current default ocio config is a bit messy. Here are some of my
ideas to make it more easy to use:

-Use a different family name for display/view colorspace (or at least those
that uses 3D LUT transforms) and do not show those in the image input
colorspace dropdown menu. Those are baked to 3D LUT and not reversible so
not usable in this case. On the same subject, we currently have several
sRGB colorspace for display/view but none for image input. The spi configs
that came with OCIO have one sRGB colorspace for display/view and other
vd8, vd16, vd32, ... for video/texture data as input. Obviously we will
need a sRGB colorspace usable for input

-Why so many views for each display? I think that 3 would be enough:
  -Normal (makes the image look normal, so sRGB for the sRGB display and
p3dci for p3dci display )
  -Raw (No transform)
  -Film (Makes the image look like film scan, some people like it for grain
matching/grading)
Also there seems yo be a bug in the interface: when selecting a new
display, the list of views does not updates accordingly.

Great work and good continuation.

Xavier