[Bf-committers] blender UI state

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Sun Jan 29 11:45:10 CET 2012

> Yet, I'm Told Matt Ebb wanted the check-boxes to be preferred.

And with good reason, IMO.  Check boxes' visual appearance directly
communicates that they are a boolean true/false thing.  Toggles do not
do this nearly as effectively, and can be confused with normal
buttons.

But if I can take a moment to be a bit meta: if anyone is under the
illusion that we can design a problem-free UI, they really ought to
exit this discussion immediately.  There is no such thing as an ideal
solution for Blender's UI (or any other complex problem, for that
matter).  There will always be _valid_ complaints about any proposal
that anyone makes.

This is not a matter of eliminating problems.  This is a matter of
choosing _which_ set of problems we're going to adopt and accept in
Blender's UI.  It's like UV unwrapping: we can minimize distortion to
a certain extent, but ultimately it's a matter of choosing which
distortions we consider least harmful.

I think framing this discussion in those terms might help things be
more productive.  An easy pattern to fall into otherwise is one where
someone makes a proposal, and someone else points out a problem with
it, and instead of that leading to a discussion of, "Well, do we
consider that problem less bad than the problems that other
possibilities have?" it leads to deadlock.  (There's also the matter
of subjectivity, different use-cases, etc., of course...)

There's always room for improvement, of course.  But let's please move
forward with the realization that you can't make a distortion-free
unwrap even of a simple sphere.  Even with infinite resources.  It's
all about trade-offs.

Personally, I think Matt and William did a good job in striking a
reasonable balance of decent trade-offs.  I suggest that we stick to
their choices except in cases where there is a clearly better
trade-off to make.

--Nathan