[Bf-committers] blender UI state

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 17:00:56 CET 2012

I'm glad to see this UI discussion getting organized on the wiki.

I'd like to add that I think with respect to UI changes, a picture says
ten-thousand words. Creating a wiki page which clearly documents the
current state, the motivation for a change, and a visual change proposal is
a really good way to get buy-in and something implemented. Often the
implemention of UI changes is actually much simpler than the actual buy-in
or approval process. I'd really like to see Blender Foundation get more
actively involved in structuring and "approving" UI change proposals to
streamline this more.

Here is an example of a visual change proposal (really a bug fix), I made a
while back related to outliner selected/active highlighting. Visually
illustrating the problem clearly made it easy to get agreement and get it
quickly fixed. Putting a little effort into this kind of organized set of
micro-screenshots can really help streamline the UI proposal/change process.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Jeske/Active_Selected_Visuals_Cleanup_Proposal_Completed

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Jeske/Active_Selected_Visual_Cleanup_Proposal

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Vino/New_User_Experience