[Bf-committers] blender UI state

Sanne sanne at lavabit.com
Fri Jan 20 18:54:53 CET 2012

I agree that the UI needs work, but let's not go overboard. For the most part
it works well, it just needs some (or more in some areas, ok) polish.

On Friday 20 January 2012, Jorge Rodriguez wrote:
> I'd like Blender to be learnable without people having to go watch
> tutorials.

Not possible (IMO). Blender, like any other 3D software, is far too complex to
be picked up on the fly.

I can't understand why reading docs or watching tutorials is so awful. If
somebody opens Blender and feels lost (as did I many years ago), what's so
hard about clicking on the help menu, choosing the first entry and starting
to read? While the manual also needs work, the introductory chapters should
be enough to get anybody started. If not, the community provides free help.
That's how open source projects work.

If somebody can't do that, I don't think he/she has enough drive to learn a 3D
software anyway.

As a user, I'm very grateful for Blender and also for the documentation we do
have. People really should use it.

To conclude, here's a post from a new Blender user who had a totally different
experience than what is always assumed a new user would have. Maybe it helps
to put things into perspective:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?217431-Mind-Blown-Babbling-Rant

Regards,
Sanne