[Bf-committers] Transform tool tweaks

Yousef Hurfoush bat3a at msn.com
Thu Jan 19 20:33:06 CET 2012

>When you combine these three things together you get a mode of operation
>that I feel takes advantage of the "Blender Way" of doing things, (quickly
>and efficiently!) but also makes sense to users coming from other tools.

not a max or maya or xsi standard way of grabbing or rotating or translating!

>I'll be submitting patches of my work when I'm a bit happier with them.

i patched and tested, clumsy:

if you select and move right away it acts like hold and up (it transforms and confirms automatically!)
, although i like the idea of holding and release on key up.

>Then the solution I would suggest is to bind one rotation type to R and the
>other to perhaps Shift-R. It's the same amount of keypresses either way. I
>feel like, although the current workflow is changed by this method, the
>overall workflow becomes faster and more intuitive, so it's worth it.

it's the same amount of presses but not the same movements,
pressing a button twice is much easier than using two finger and two destant keys

you can blindly press RR, and cannot blindly press shift-R.

>What i would like to have is switch for the navigation behavior. In
>3D-View the default keymapping is Shift+MMB to pan and MMB to rotate. I
>really like it the other way around.

+1 for me, most 3d solutions do this.

>The feature I proposed in the top post of this thread makes pressing any
>transformation key (G, R, or S) a second time confirm the transformation. I
>made this change because I feel it is a more expected behavior to new users

who uses that, most 3d solution use mouse press to confirm!