[Bf-committers] blender UI state

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 20:16:26 CET 2012

-- snip
>> * I think it is inane that saving user preferences saves the entire current
>> .blend to be loaded again with the File->New command. If I want to rebind a
>> key in the middle of my work, it saves my entire project, and then I
>> continue my work and next time I load Blender I am presented with an old
>> version of my project. It should save only user preferences, like it claims
>> it does.
>
> Yep! +100 but we also need a way to save our start out scene.

This is a known todo, though
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Development/Todo/UserInterface#User_Preferences

We've had many long UI threads on the ML before which just die out
without much gained besides everyone airing their opinions (which
often conflict).

Rather then suggesting many random annoyances it would help more IMHO
if we could focus on specific areas such as...
- better toolbar layout (operator redo is far too cramped)
- general panel layout, button spacing / placement, layout engine.
- re-organizing 3d view header buttons / menu / display panel which is
currently a shamozzel.

William Ranish's blog post covered some of these issues.
http://www.blendernation.com/2011/10/29/cleaning-up-the-blender-ui/

The frustrating thing about UI discussions is they tend to go off
topic far too quick and farly simple stuff gets overlooked/ignored, no
consensus, nothing happens.

Existing devs can probably handle executing changes for smaller
targets that can be agreed on.

Unless some dev has weeks set aside to focus on the UI. this could
prove more realistic, I'm happy to help out in the UI a bit too.