[Bf-committers] Transform tool tweaks

Jorge Rodriguez jorge at lunarworkshop.com
Thu Jan 19 01:24:37 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Tobias Oelgarte <
tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:

> It bugs me that it
> destroys the option to add additional options to the tools by just
> pressing the same button multiple times. That is very quick and
> intuitive. I would not like to trade it against a "press again to confirm".

After much thinking and listening to feedback I'm going to find a way to
update the patch to make this on option. I just learned about how RNA
properties work with operators in Blender so it should be straightforward
to implement. Then if this patch is used then you can keep the old
behavior. I've been having some computer problems today but hopefully I can
get it up before tomorrow.

That is the main difference. You speak about simple interaction for new
> users. But i speak about fast interaction once learned. Yes this is a
> compromise to make.

I disagree. I think that simple interaction and fast interaction are not
mutually exclusive. In fact, I think my patch manages to keep interaction
speeds (and in some cases make things faster) while at the same time making
Blender more accessible to new users.

I confess though, I am very concerned with new users. It's a primary
motivation for me hacking Blender. After all, I am a new user, and one of
the reasons I put off adopting Blender for so long is because of
frustrations like the one I have addressed with this patch. I believe that
Blender could have much more success if it made it easier for new users to
adopt. In this sense I think Blender's user interface holds it back. It is
my goal to address this, which is to everyone's benefit because more users
== more developers, and more developers == more features.

--
Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez
jorge at lunarworkshop.com
twitter: VinoBS