[Bf-committers] blender UI state

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 19:20:15 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM, mindrones <mindrones at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is one of those things that makes me a bit "angry" when new cool
> features are added in. It makes no sense to me to have a new fantastic
> modifier and leep basic problems unsolved.

There are a LOT of problems with the GUI but the thing is that you
have no one to be angry at. This is open source. That means that I
write what I want to write. If that is something really cool like
Dynamic Paint and that is what I am into, then that is what I will
write and there is NOTHING anyone can do to make me write GUI code.
This is the nature of open source. So if you are really bugged by this
GUI problem,then I suggest you do the code writing or at least help
with it in some way that you can.

Problems that I see;

Entering an image series in video editor is not done the same way as
in the composition nodes.

Film strips and nodes are added where the mouse is. Great unless you
happen to be clicking the add button. It was way better in 2.4 with
film strip adding. It stuck to the mouse and then you dropped it where
you wanted it. A MUCH better work flow, I think.

When you have a small screen (or even a big one with many sub-screens)
you have to grab and slide your tools list at the bottom of the window
to get to them each time. I would love to have an option to set the
row length here or not, a line wrap feature.

I know there are others but these are the top two on my mind today.

The VSE and the movie editor are almost the same thing. Should they
not be the same thing but with buttons on the bottom to switch
functions like the compositors?

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!