[Bf-committers] Render Layer Proposal

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Jan 18 11:46:22 CET 2012

Hi,

> You actually told me the reason why we have openEXR & MultiLayer (exr) is
> because some third party software do not support Multilayer properly.

I wouldn't have said that. At the time there was no other program using openEXR multilayer at all. I asked ILM to propose a standard for it, but they were not interested.

> So my proposal was for Blender to render 1 "image sequence" by passes out
> of the box without going through the trouble of compositor, and this only
> in case the user didn't choose a multiLayer format.

You're making it sound so complicated... here's my version:

A new OpenEXR render output option, that saves the layers and passes per frame as individual files, according to naming specifications that are used for MultiLayer already. For frame 1 it would look like this for example:

./0001.RenderLayer.combined.exr
./0001.RenderLayer.Z.exr
./0001.Characters.AO.exr
./0001.Characters.Diffuse.exr

Where the .exr files store channels as specified by the exr spec. Sometimes 1 channel, or 3, or 4.

The dots can become underscores too; dunno if programs get confused with it. Having custom naming for passes or channels is something cycles work can look into.

-Ton-