[Bf-committers] Transform tool tweaks

Jorge Rodriguez jorge at lunarworkshop.com
Wed Jan 18 01:16:15 CET 2012

A quick note just so we can all remain on the same page. When I'm talking
about rotation in this topic, I'm referring to when the user is rotating an
object and the view remains the same. I'm not referring to when the user is
rotating the view. This feature does not affect view rotation.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Tobias Oelgarte <
tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Why not leave the default rotation at R and make the following possible:
>
> R = Start with default rotation
> Shift + R = Start with trackball
> Pressing either R or Shift+R again will toggle the mode.

The feature I proposed in the top post of this thread makes pressing any
transformation key (G, R, or S) a second time confirm the transformation. I
made this change because I feel it is a more expected behavior to new users
- If you press a button to enter a rotation mode then you should be able to
press that button again to exit it. Not all users will expect this
behavior, but I don't think many users (other than existing Blender users)
would expect that pressing the button again should retain the new mode but
modify it. The number of former users (again not including existing users
trained on the current behavior) is in my opinion much greater than the
number of latter users.

In short, I expect that many existing Blender users may not like the key
rebind, but I think that letting the user press the R button twice to
approve the rotation is a more intuitive behavior than pressing it again to
toggle. In the end though, my proposal is very similar to yours:

R = Start with default rotation
Shift + R = Start with trackball
R again = Confirm the current rotation
Pressing Shift+R again will toggle the mode.

So it's the same, but pressing R again confirms instead of toggles, which
of course is the whole point of my patch.

I'm pretty satisfied with this patch now, I'll be submitting it shortly.

--
Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez
jorge at lunarworkshop.com
twitter: VinoBS