[Bf-committers] Transform tool tweaks

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 18 00:29:10 CET 2012

Am 17.01.2012 21:54, schrieb Knapp:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Jorge Rodriguez
> <jorge at lunarworkshop.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Knapp<magick.crow at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> It looks good but I would need to try it out to be sure. My one
>>> question is does RR still work? That is a command that I use a LOT.
>>>
>> Sorry not familiar with the lingo, what is RR? Is it changing rotation type
>> to and from trackball? Because yes that still works but I moved it to
>> Shift-R.
>>
>> I'll be submitting a patch today I think.
>>
>> --
>> Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez
> Yes, that is what it is. The lingo is just the short cut key(s) used
> to activate it. I am not sure I like having it moved to shift R
> because it still has not sunk in that I must use b and c instead of
> the old b and bb. Seems like a similar problem to me. Really I want BB
> back, but will not likely get it. I know that I am not the only one
> that feel that way. I have seen at least 2 tuts that complain about
> the BB change. Typing R or RR is very fast and easy to use. Having to
> reach to shift for a very common short cut key is a pain. I don't know
> about the rest of the users but I have a hard time hitting keys like
> shift ( I tend to hit cap lock instead). Still I am thinking that it
> is very likely new users will love your changes.  Perhaps this is JUST
> IMOHO! I look forward to others reactions.

I'm really in favor to keep the shortcut mechanisms as simple as
possible. They are good because they are fast and easy to type. Hitting
RR is much more intuitive to me as to press R or Shift R. Personally i
favor the default rotation and not the trackball rotation. Trackball
always freaks me out if it rotates to angles in which you loose most of
the control. That goes for the navigation in the 3D view as well. I
always set it (even in 2.4x and before) to turntable to avoid that the
view rotates sideways (y-rotation). It just didn't feel natural to me.

Why not leave the default rotation at R and make the following possible:

R = Start with default rotation
Shift + R = Start with trackball
Pressing either R or Shift+R again will toggle the mode.

A personal note on Shift + MMB:

What i would like to have is switch for the navigation behavior. In
3D-View the default keymapping is Shift+MMB to pan and MMB to rotate. I
really like it the other way around. Why? Because nearly every panel
(Curve-Editor, Properties, UV-Editor, etc.) or other program uses the
middle mouse button for panning. So i wanted to to keep this in sync
with the usual behavior. In 3D we can also rotate the view. But for it
isn't such important (often used) while working. For example: If i work
in front view and want to pan i would have to press Shift and MMB to do
it. If i accidentially don't press Shift fast enough or release it to
early i will rotate the view and loose the front-view perspective. This
can be frustrating. If i use only the middle mouse button for panning,
nothing can go wrong with the perspective. It pans or it does nothing.
If i want to leave that perspective then i can press/hold Shift and
don't really care about panning a little to the left, right, top or
bottom. (Wasn't their a option in 2.49 to exchange this two combinations?)